Megan and Ellie both came from different sailing backgrounds, with Megan crewing in the 470 (another Olympic class) for four years and Ellie building an array of skiff sailing experience on the other side of the world. They then joined their talents together, teaming up in 2016.
Megan and Ellie, otherwise known as MELLIE, are part of the Podium Potential British Sailing Team.
You can follow their journey here, as they escape the English winter and follow the sun to the warmer climates of Europe.
THE 49ER FX
The 49er FX is the Formula 1 boat of sailing: fast, thrilling and not for the faint-hearted. It requires a combination of physical strength and agility, as well as nail-biting tactical racing. Teamwork is key in this boat, as every element of sailing requires working together in order to achieve anything.
- Requires 2 crew; 1 helm and 1 crew
- It is a women only class
- Its top speed is 25knots
- It has 3 sails; the main, the jib and the spinnaker
ACHIEVEMENTS THROUGHOUT SAILING CAREER
AS A TEAM:
- 2016 1st British Girls 49er FX Junior World Championships
- 2017 30th 49er FX World Championships
- 2017 1st National Ranker series
- 420 World Champion 2011
- Bronze Medal Junior Europeans 2011
- 2011 Yachting Journalists Association Pantaenius Young Sailor of the Year Award
- Yachts and Yachting Youth Sailor of the Year Award Runner Up 2014
- 2014 Silver 470 Junior World Championships
- 2015 Bronze 470 Junior World Championships
- 2nd 18ft skiff New Zealand Championships 2016
- Only girl to compete in the JJ Gillian World Championships 2016
- Only girls team selected in the UK stage of the RedBull foiling generation 2015
- 7th Etchells European Championships (first youth team) 2015
- 1st IRC class 2 national Championships 2012/2013
- 1st Youth Keelboat National championships 2013